Saturday 4 April 2015

Losing your Wisdom

So I went to the dentist expecting to have my bottom two wisdom teeth out in the first instance followed by the top SXLA 4's out at a later date.

I saw a different dentist for the extractions but he made me feel at ease and had a look in my mouth. I was quite nervous having heard horror stories from my friends about having your wisdom teeth out.

 The dentist explained that he couldn't remove both lower wisdom teeth in the same appointment as due to the local anaesthetic you could choke on your tongue! But we could keep the treatment plan to two visits by combining the extractions of the top and bottom on each side.

Right Hand side Extractions 
So he injected my mouth with the anaesthetic which tasted a little metallic or oniony as the top was starting to numb, I went off to the X-ray room to have an X-ray, in order for the dentist to double check he could remove the bottom wisdom tooth without any issues.

Back in the chair I was ready for my first ever tooth extraction, the dentist pushed up and wiggled the tooth to make it loose then pulled it out. I could only feel a weird pulling sensation not a yank or anything and no pain but I could tell something was happening.

After the top one was removed he went off to check the X-ray and I had a giggle with the nurses who where chatting about what to have for lunch. I pointed out I only had soup to look forward too!! The dentist came back and said the X-ray was good no bone over the  wisdom tooth just gum so we could get it whipped out too.

Wisdom tooth and SXLA4 in a little box
Tooth Extraction Pliers
This one was a bit of a fight and as they kept diving into my mouth with different pliers and clamps I decided to close my eyes it all seemed better if I couldn't tell what was happening. after about a minute it was out and i was sent off with my teeth in a little box and a little care pack with instructions for after care and some padding if it kept bleeding. All in all I was in the room a total of 32 minutes in which time I'd had two teeth numbed and removed and my jaw X-rayed.

I didn't need the padding as it didn't bleed at all. As I was driven home I took an Ibuprofen and the pain went away. I sent a picture of my face to my friend and they replied saying its wasn't as swollen as they thought it would be. So all good. I couldn't book in to have the other side done for three weeks so I had plenty of time for this side to recover.

For 24 hours you cant rinse your mouth, so I had some yoghurt and went to bed. I took painkillers every 4 hours and it mostly kept the pain at bay.

After a day I could rinse my mouth with salt water which was a welcome as there was a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I brushed my teeth as normal and rinsed with salt water a few times a day and it all healed nicely. The top extraction presented no pain at all. The Wisdom tooth area didn't really hurt but further down the jaw bone was where the pain was the most. I think this was because all the teeth where now relaxing after being crushed by the wisdom tooth trying to push its way through.

Tooth Fairy
After a week and a half it was completely fine and no pain.

A couple of weeks later I was back in the chair for the same again on the left hand side. This time i wasn't too worried and didn't I take my teeth home. I found out the tooth fairy doesn't visit you when your and adult. Which is a shame, I thought I'd get a good price on a wisdom tooth and could put it towards the cost of the brace! I was in the Room a total of 16 minutes this time, thats local anaesthetic and more two teeth removed.

Due to a cancellation I was booked in for the brace to be fixed on in two days time, so no room for a few weeks recovery this time.






No comments:

Post a Comment