Sunday 26 July 2015

Mush and Slush

So I've had my braces for three months now. In that time I have had three new bars on the top teeth and two on the bottom.

frozen summer berries, Lemon yoghurt,
Pineapple chunks,  mango juice.
Blending with a hand blender
Unlike the braces of old NHS style, you don't get the one week of pain as they are tightened then once they have moved into place, a few weeks of normal life till you go back to have them tightened again, these are constantly moving. This is good because its quicker, and I could see results in a few weeks, with my bottom teeth moving into an arch, but also bad as the pain is annoying and makes everyday life difficult.

Eating out is difficult you see lots of stuff you want to eat on the menu but are reduced to ordering the softest, mushiest thing you think you can macerate with your tongue, as chewing is impossible with the shooting pains of various teeth through your jaw being unbearable.

Homemade Chicken Curry Blended
With work we are currently stuck on a country estate with no nearby shops so catering is put on, this means I have had to take a hand blender with me to work in order to reduce the lunch to a baby food consistency.

Icecream is great it cool all the swelling down and stops the pain for a little bit. When I say pain its not a really bad pain its more of a constant dull ache, only biting or chewing causes shooting pains so soft mush is all you can really eat.

Eating at home is really easy, much like a mother you can prepare the food for everyone then blend yours to a palatable consistency.

Before Damon Clear Braces
After 3 Months



The elastics that are connecting my top and bottom jaw regularly snap at the most inconvenient times. usually when  I have a mouth full of food or in the middle of the woods when I have mud all over my hands from moving cables. So the emergency pencil case that the dentist gave me has been added to and you have to take it everywhere. It now contains, spare elastic bands, toothpaste and brush, mouth wash, mirror and hand wipes.

At the last appointment I had more brackets added to my back teeth, these rub a bit on my cheek and often get court, so I'm left with sore cheeks and sometimes the taste of blood in my mouth, where they have cut the cheek lining. I
can see that the top tooth that the elastic is attached to is starting to move backwards to fill the gap from the premolar removal, but have another appointment in a few weeks so will hopefully have an update then.

A lot of people didn't even know I had Braces till I pointed it out so that great.

No comments:

Post a Comment